If you’ve been working in the pharmaceutical industry, it should come as no surprise to you that this industry is big money. In fact, the global pharmaceutical market was estimated at over 1.1 trillion USD in 2017. Economic forecasting and projections estimate that number to reach almost 1.4 trillion by 2020. North America accounts for 37% of the global market share, which is slightly less than the Asia Pacific and Western Europe pharmaceutical theatres (estimated at 22% and 20%, respectively). What are the top 10 pharmaceutical companies for 2018? What does this mean for companies and employees in North America?
Pharma Resource Group INC. (PRG) is known for creating cost-effective and flexible solutions that always meet and often exceed our customer’s expectations. We deploy the right resources at the right time for the right value. The pharmaceutical industry is booming now, more than ever. Through our valued employees and network of technical consultants, we can help companies stand out in a crowded marketplace. To give you an idea of the money and opportunity involved in this sector, consider this: in 2017, the top-10 global pharmaceutical companies generated sales of USD 437.257 billion, accounting for roughly 40% of the global market share of pharma companies. The top 15 companies generated sales of $568 billion, accounting for 51% of the market share.
With constant pressure to meet the global demand for new and improved pharmaceuticals, these companies look for the best and most qualified individuals in the arena.
Top 10 Pharmaceutical Companies 2018
Below is a list of this year’s top 10 pharmaceutical companies, ranked by market cap as of November 9, 2017, as furnished by the companies on their websites; by the exchanges on which they trade their shares; or by other publicly available sources, such as any of several free stock information websites. Figures of non-U.S. companies were converted to U.S. dollars from various currencies on November 9, 2017. It will be interesting to see the final numbers for 2018, with the release of new FDA approved drugs and a record number of approved generics for sale in the marketplace (over 1000 new generic drugs in 2017):
#10: Eli Lilly @ 92.29 billion.
#9: Bristol-Myers Squibb @ $101.27 billion.
#8: Bayer @ $106.57 billion.
#7: Sanofi @ $114.74 billion.
#6: Merck & Co. @ $152.31 billion.
#5: AbbVie @ $153.59 billion.
#4: Roche @ 198.61 billion.
#3: Pfizer @ $208.07 billion.
#2: Novartis @ 215.87 billion.
#1: Johnson & Johnson @ 378.61 billion.
Top 5 Pharmaceutical Companies
Here is a brief overview of the type 5 on the list:
- Johnson & Johnson: controlling drugs such as Stelara, Zytiga, Imbruvica and household companies such as Aveeno, Listerine and Neutrogena, the 130-year old company had the largest market cap on our list.
- Novartis: A Switzerland base company focusing on oncology, immunology/dermatology, neuroscience and respiratory. Their success is based heavily around Gleevec, Gilenya, and the dermatology drug Cosentyx. Cosentyx saw a significant increase in sales (82%) in 2017.
- Pfizer: The world’s largest pharmaceutical company, Pfizer is a research-based pharma giant that has an incredibly varied portfolio. From immunology, oncology, neurosciences, rare diseases and fertility, the company received ten FDA approvals in 2017 and key product growth for drugs including Eliquis, Xeljanz and Ibrance.
- Roche: A Swiss pharmaceutical company that is responsible for the world’s top three cancer drugs: Herceptin, Avastin and Rituxan. Look out for potential new drugs from Roche in 2018 that can help treat systemic sclerosis, various types of cancer and rheumatoid arthritis.
- AbbVie: AbbVie is responsible for the world’s current best-selling drug, Humira and Imbruvica, one of today’s leading cancer drugs. Research-driven American biopharma giant Abbvie has made its way into the list for top 10 pharma companies two years in a row. AbbVie also has a very anticipated drug called upadacitinib, which will treat moderate to severe atopic dermatitis. This drug has just been granted breakthrough therapy designation by the FDA.
Pharmaceutical Consulting Services PRG is a full-service pharmaceutical resource and services provider. We provide our clients with strategic and tactical solutions that are scientifically based and built upon three distinct characteristics: expertise, knowledge and execution. Contact us today!